Birth Story Part 1

Yesterday I shared about the birth of our precious son Timothy and I had said that I would today share about the birth.  I understand that this may not make for interesting reading for everyone but it’s a happy ending which is what makes a good story.


Friday 1st January was the due date I had been given for Timothy’s birth early Friday morning around 8am I lots a little blood I went to the assessment unit and the baby was monitored and I was checked and everything seemed fine and I returned home.

In the very early hours of Saturday morning before 1am I went to the toilet as I thought that I had wet myself however the water didn’t stop.  I phoned up the delivery suit who asked me to come in to be checked.  At 1:30am I was on a hospital bed and the baby being monitored.  The hospital confirmed that my waters had broken and that I was having contractions.  I was sent home and told to return at 9pm that night.

During Saturday I had pains in my lower stomach which increasingly being more intense throughout the day.  A midwife came to see me around 6pm as I was feeling uncomfortable. 

At 8pm I was ready to go to the hospital.  I had planned for a home birth however due to the fact my waters had broken hours ago and honestly the discomfort was enough for me I was ready. 

My husband and I arrived at the delivery suit at 8:30pm I was given stronger pain relief tablets as the paracetamol wasn’t helping at all.  I was very aware of my contractions I the monitor was clearly picking them up along with Timothy’s heart beat.  I was unsure how much more the discomfort would intensity to and asked that I have an epidural. 

My doctor agreed to the epidural and just before it was administered my doctor said that because of two ladies on the delivery ward needing immediate assistance she couldn’t begin my drip however promised me that I would still be able to have one but not yet. 

After numbing cream and an injection I slept with my husband beside me on the hospital bed after an internal examination was carried out with the magic gas and air which was amazing. 

I woke Sunday morning still with my waters continuing to trickle. 

Sunday morning I was given numbing cream, anaesthetic and then the famous epidural which was the best thing.  I lay on the hospital with my legs going increasingly heavy and in no pain what so ever.  Internal examinations were carried out I used the much needed gas and air which worked like a dream. 

Sunday afternoon arrived the Timothy’s heart beat at times seemed to drop they did two checks taking a small blood test from the top of his head which showed that Timothy needed to be delivered. 

Timothy’s head wasn’t facing the correct direction my doctor tried to move his head asking me to push but it didn’t make any difference. 

The doctor explained how I would have to go down to theatre and possible have a C-section at this point I became extremely anxious.  I felt no pain at all but fear of being taken to theatre.  The doctor had me sign a document which was difficult with having drips in both hands. 

My husband was taken to get changed and after moving me to a very small theatre bed I lay in the room with at least 10 hospital staff including my midwife stood and my husband sat next to me.

They placed a white sheet up so that I couldn’t see what was happening.  I had more of the gas and air that I had requested, I needed something that I could do to manage in this stressful and frightening situation. 

At the time I was unaware but the doctor had cut me and used the suction cup and forceps to deliver Timothy.  They asked me to push, which I tried however because of the epidural was unable to feel anything at all. 

The doctor announced that Timothy had been delivered at 4:36pm.  Apparently he did a wee on the senior midwife and cried very quietly. 

My midwife gave Timothy to my husband to hold after showing me him, I didn’t want to hold him as I was lying down on the very narrow theatre bed. 

When I had been stitched we were taken through to the recovery room and checks carried out and we were both monitored… Part 2 tomorrow! 

Just to conclude the epidural and gas and air were incredible, I’ve three friends who are pregnant at the moment and I’ve recommended it to them all.  

Happy Friday Friends! 


About The Life of a Housewife

Abigail is married to a wonderful man. They have a very fabulous Mini Dachshund her name is Tinkerbell and now a very beautiful son. Abigail's absolute favourite time of the year is Christmas it has been since she was a little girl. Abigail' enjoys being creative, enjoy cooking, making and especially fond of organization.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: